Friday, October 5, 2012

Essay 1


No one imagines being the one to tell their best friend that their dad was just shot in the head, but on that Tuesday, three days before Christmas, I was doing just that. How on earth was I the one doing such a thing, well that’s a little beyond me. I signed up for late night movies, laughing fits, and sharing brownies, not “I’m sorry your dad probably isn’t going to make it.” So right there outside A.C. Moore, in the parking lot was where I told my best friend that her dad had been shot in the head.

I thought about the why we were in this precise situation and it all started to make sense to me. The first time I went to church with Chris I sat in the last pew. The air was stale and musty, like most of the older ladies there. A quick survey of the chapel indicated that young people surely do not go to church. I was complacent sitting there counting the dingy ceiling tiles when Liz walked right up to me and said, “umm, I heard you are new to town and I think we should be friends.” She was very matter-of-fact about it. How do you refuse a friendship request in real life, on facebook you can decline or say no, but face to face is entirely different. I muttered something in agreement and she walked away. Thus the invitation hung in the stale musty air.

Weeks had gone by and I found myself in a rush to get to the grocery store before they closed. I squeezed between the handful of cars in the parking lot and rounded the corner to the entrance. In my haste I forgot to watch where I was going and smacked right into Liz. She laughed and said she did stuff like that all the time. We exchanged numbers and plans to hang out in the future.

A few more weeks had gone by before I finally found the courage to pick up the phone and call Liz. I picked up the phone and slowly punched in every number. When the phone rang my heart started pounding, I thought it would surely beat right through my chest, or she would hear it on the other end. What if she….

“Hello.”

“Ah, hi, this is Amanda, from church.”

“Hey, how are you?”

It was that easy. As my heart was pounding and the anxiousness set in my fears were put to rest when she answered the phone. It was like having a conversation with someone you’ve known for years. That feeling of easing into the conversation like one eases into a shoe, perfect fit. I started to hang out at her house in between my busy schedule and found I had made a friend, but not just any friend, a best friend. A comfortable fit for us.

Tell your best friend her dad is going to die and basically her life is changed forever and awkwardness ensues. But, you may also find that your relationship has changed in ways you never knew it could. Maybe she realizes how incredibly awkward it was for you to stand at the register as she paid for her things and she didn’t understand that you were rushing her out because you had something crazy to tell her. She likely will still be the girl you eat popcorn with and gush over Edward in Twilight. She will also likely be the girl that doesn’t ever want to shop with you at A.C. Moore again, because let’s face it, last time you were there together she found out her dad was pretty much dead.

2 comments:

  1. This is a real essay, interesting to read, with material that's handled gracefully.

    But it's not a five graf cause essay with three clear reasons for something delineated. How you got to the point of being the one to relate the bad news, the origins of your friendship, is not the same as giving three reasons for something.

    So, it's back to the drawing board here--this needs a rewrite before I can accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. What if I need to maybe alter the subject matter a bit?

    ReplyDelete