Thursday, October 11, 2012

Classification Essay 2


I feel like each day I am buried under a massive stack of papers. These papers are various sizes and colors and it’s almost as though those sizes and colors and stacks morph into this monster that chases me around everywhere I go. My typical response to the monstrous stack of papers is to organize them. Urgent, need to review and “put on the stairs,” are my go to categories when sorting through these papers. Invoices, over due bills, and IRS statements are more threatening when URGENT is stamped in red on the envelope. Then there is hospital bills, insurance papers, contracts, all needing to be looked over carefully. It’s almost as though my eyes avoid them, knowing that once glance and they are doomed eternally to read each and everyone.
My first pile of documents labeled URGENT, well that tends to describe itself. I’d like to avoid them, but doing so always means late fees, fines, or even worse. Failure to tend to the very details within each section is teetering on the verge of meltdown. Hiding in the back room is useless when the phone starts ringing and the pile never gets any smaller.
Need to review papers are no where near as stressful. I generally find them to be non threatening. I don’t stay up at night wondering if I missed anything. I simply review them take necessary action and move on. Smallest pile of them all, the papers tend to be neat, no red lettering, no stressful breakdown ensues.
Put on the stairs papers are the most bothersome. They are the papers that need to be filed, usually receipts and extra load slips. They make their way to the stairs and there they sit. Eventually the dust piles high and every time you walk down the stairs  you squeeze to one side as to not upset the dust or the pile. Upsetting the pile would be detrimental to my sanity, as there are endless little papers to keep track of. Usually on laundry day, once a week, they get tucked into the side of a laundry basket and eventually end up in the office upstairs.
Life often feels just like each stack of papers. We run from the urgent things when they seem to overwhelming, the need to review papers are less threatening, because they require no action. The put on the stairs pile of papers are like all the mundane tasks we must completely that get stacked somewhere and we don’t deal with them or take care of them until they topple over.

1 comment:

  1. Clever idea, well structured but: The Big D!

    Details--we need them in the middle. We need to know some examples of each type, worst moments, eventual resolutions, etc. You do the best with graf with its ministory and visuals--do more of that in a rewrite.

    ReplyDelete