Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Graf 6: Unique


My uniqueness is hard to describe, because when I think about myself in comparison to others I don’t find that I’m all that different. But, I am unique, just as each one of us has quirks that separate us from each other and make us all interesting individuals. All that runs through my mind right now is a stupid movie line from Fired Up, “unique new york, unique new york, barack, barack, barack obama.” I am unique because I am willing to go against the grain for what I think is right and I don’t cut myself off from opportunities to grow. I seem to find myself in curious situations a lot and I always seem to come out a stronger person. I find ways to use these circumstances to better myself. I am a very determined individual and when I set my mind to something, I find a way to excel. I feel that it is unique to find someone of my age that is willing to commit and work hard on personal relationships and give them everything possible to make sure that they flourish and grow. The world has been rushing towards this movement of I “gotta” have it now, can’t live without it, urgency. Then if something is broken you replace it, there is no longer this emphasis on fixing it or saving it, more of a “let’s throw it away” attitude. I come from your typical Maine family struggling to make ends meet. When people talk about struggling to pay bills, I know what they mean. I grew up with three other siblings and we went without an awful lot. As I have gotten older, I have worked hard for what I have and that attitude carries with me through all aspects of my life.

What makes me unique is what makes me, me. I am very talkative, determined, cheerful, smart, loving, motivated, and kind. I love to hear the stories of people that I meet, because I feel that everyone has a story and a unique set of circumstances that have made them who they are and brought them to the point that they are at in life. I love to hear these stories and grow and learn from them. It warms my heart to hear about people who have overcome insurmountable challenges and have bettered themselves because of it. I know that each and every person I meet has the ability to touch my life in one way or another and I try to see that when I am around them.

1 comment:

  1. I think most of your unique items stop a sentence short--we need the example to nail the unique thing. For instance: " I am unique because I am willing to go against the grain for what I think is right and I don’t cut myself off from opportunities to grow."

    Without the example, these words will not come off the page into a reader's mind--think about this for the future.

    ReplyDelete