Friday, August 31, 2012

isearch worksheet


I-search worksheet

What is an I-search?

An Isearch is a research paper that asks a question. It does not simply gather information for its own sake. It asks a question, and then you hunt for information that answers the question.

It is a question whose answer matters to your life in some way. It is a question you really do not know the answer to, but you would like to. It is a question which you can realistically pursue in the course of a single semester. It is a question with more legs, depth, angles, and nuance than a simple yes/no answer.

It is a research paper that puts "I"--you--at the center of things.

What do you want to write about? Asperger’s
What do you want to find out about your topic? How it affects relationships.

What are your questions about the topic?
1. What resources are there for people who are in a relationship with someone who has Asperger’s?
2. What are the primary issues in these relationships?
3. What is the probability of these relationships lasting?

How does it connect to your life?
 I have been dating someone with Asperger’s for three years. Prior to dating my boyfriend I had no experience with Asperger’s and until this year I didn’t even know that he had Asperger’s. We have had a very complicated relationship because of it and have been working hard to change our relationship. We both had to adjust expectations we have for each other to make sure that it was actually possible to meet each others needs. It has been a lot of work and there is more to come. I have spent a lot of time researching what Asperger’s is all about, but I have not put in a lot of time to see how relationships are affecting.

Give three reasons you like the topic
1. Relevant
2. Common- now that the process of diagnosing Asperger’s has improved there are more reported cases of it.
3. Challenging topic and I know that there are lots of things to learn that would be beneficial to me.

Give three ways your life might change if you answer your questions
1. Make me more educated on the topic.
2. Allow me to have information that would help me improve my relationship.
3. It would arm me with knowledge on how to be more understanding and compassionate.
Do you already know the answer to your question?  If the answer is sitting in a single book somewhere or if all you need do to find the answer is make some simple decision or ask one person one question, it isn't going to work out for a research paper because there isn't much you can research. Is it that kind of question and answer?  If it is, please redo the worksheet.

I am really excited to research this topic further, because even though I am in a relationship with someone who has Asperger’s, that does not mean I am an expert. I have to carefully approach normal relationship hurdles to make sure that they are handled in a way that enables him to respond to them and myself as well. I look forward to education myself and I hope to be able to apply what I learn to my relationship.



3 comments:

  1. That could work for a topic, but here are three potential problems to think about before you get started.

    1. You might break up next month. Then the purpose of the isearch has disappeared.

    2. To do an isearch, you have to apply what's out there, the official research, to your own situation. That means describing your problems and situation, and you might understandably not want to do that--but unless it's personal to some extent, it won't be an isearch.

    3. You will need your boyfriend's cooperation. If he isn't interested in giving it, you have no isearch.

    What's your reaction to those three warnings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in response to question number one, we won't be breaking up. :) I have no qualms about sharing our story with others. I don't live in the area, it's an online course and no one actually knows my boyfriend or myself. He is more than willing to cooperate because of the reasons I described.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In any case the isearch can be handled through email attachments if you prefer, so I'd be the only person reading it.

    ReplyDelete